YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, May 27, 2007

WeeFee

Some of the words I have had the hardest time with in French are the ones that have North American origins. PowerPoint, for example, "PowerPoint" in French, is a particularly difficult word to pronounce. Similar dificulties are presented by proper nouns such as "Johnny Depp" (which I didn't realize were so globally ubiquitous). WiFi, "WiFi" in French, also offered confustion at the beginning, although I nailed "Granny Smith" on the first try.

Whether you say it wy-fy or wee-fee, however, the important thing is that I'm all hooked up.

This weekend, Weston, another student from my university in France for an internship, and I did some sightseeing together in Rouen:

I got stuck in the old stuff at the Musée des Beaux Arts--which never happens to me in art museums. I can usually get through the period pretty quickly. But I was so struck by the pristine samples they have at the museum--and by how the theme of the art of this era is consistently Christ and those around him. Being in Europe, visiting cathedrals, seeing artwork like this makes me realize that the reach of what and where and who Christ has touched is so much bigger than Utah and the things I know--which makes that reach and Christ's love all the more astounding. And genuine.

Later, we visited the Musée Jeanne d'Arc, where we appreciated the dying art of dioramas.

1 comment:

Holladay Duplex said...

Dioramas certainly are a dying, possibly lost, art. I think people might appreciate them more if they did not sound so much like, as our father puts it, diarrheas. But what isn't to love about teeny tiny (or in french is that tiny teeny?) scenes?