YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Letter from 3 September 2009

My sister Dagny had her baby this week--a girl, Kate. I don't have news that can compare to that! I'm "exciting" (as Sister Lee says) for my family, and to meet new members of my family when I get home!

It was a good week. On my birthday (Monday), the mission president and his wife called me up and sang to me on the phone. And Sister Lee and I had pat bing soo--kind of like an ice cream sunday, kind of like a snow cone: shaved ice, sweet red beans, fruit, flavored syrup, chocolate sauce, "dok" rice cake (not the crispy kind you're probably thinking...it's more like bread, but really chewy), sometimes corn flakes, ice cream....

Also, we met a great new investigator that day. Recently, for the missionaries, there's been a focus on "remembering"--recognizing the blessings, the little miracles that happen each day. At a district meeting last week (a small meeting with four other missionaries serving in close areas), with this in mind, the district leader asked us to talk about some of the miracles we saw this week. And, this week, our miracles are our investigators.

On Monday, we met O Han ah (a member we met with this week who lived in the US for awhile and has an American husband said her name sounds Hawaiian: Ohana. When I met her, I said it sounded like Hannah--since O is her family name. Han ah means "one" or "first"--usually. Names can have lots of different meanings. Anyway...). The elders met her as they were knocking door to door. They called us up and gave us her phone number, said she was interested in the 30/30 English program.

People found going door to door like that, and people interested in the English program aren't often the ones who stick around for a long time. So I guess I went without huge expectations. But she is amazing. After 20 minutes or so of chatting in English, she said, "I think 30 minutes is almost over. Can we talk about church in Korean now?"

A car ran over her foot in January, and for some reason it still isn't healed--so she's at home most of the time, goes to the doctor every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. She's 23--born the same year, 1987, as me and Sister Lee. That's important here.

Yesterday we met a woman in her seventies, again, who the elders had met. She studied piano and vocal performance at university, and we showed her the baby grand piano in the chapel and she played through some of our hymns. She had me sing for her, and she said I would be really good if I had better technique. She brought us two sacks filled with about twenty apples each. We talked about the Book of Mormon and gave her a copy.

And another new investigator who called us up on Sunday and said she wants to get baptized at the end of September. Like I said, our miracles this week were people.

I love you all,

Carrie

1 comment:

Leslie said...

My brain hurts from trying to figure out how Han ah can be 23 and born in 1987...