YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Transfer--Letter from 17 September 2009

Well, it's a new transfer! Yay!

And I have a new companion.

Transfer calls now come on Tuesday instead of Saturday, and the change took place today--Thursday. Sister Lee gets to serve with another Korean sister (which I think she'll enjoy), and I get to serve with...Sister Buford!

I wrote about Sister Buford a couple weeks ago. She's American but has lived in Korea for the last 20 months or so. I heard more of her story on the ride home today: she did some acting in high school, studied finance at university. Spent a summer working for Paramount. After she graduated, she got a job in finance, but decided to follow an urge she's long had to live abroad, and to try out a dream to be a film actress.

Her mom's Korean, Asia is good for business things, she had been to China and didn't like it...anyway, she moved to Korea. She got a job teaching English and sent out resumes and auditioned for movie roles. And she got the main part in a Korean movie. She was working on it this time last year.

And...she had been religious during her whole life, though a bit disillusioned with religion during college. A friend sent her a Book of Mormon, though. And one day on the subway she talked to the missionaries. Event after event happened, and she met with the missionaries. Meeting with them, she just wanted to learn. She didn't want to pray, because she knew what it would mean if she learned for herself if the message was true. But she did pray. And she got baptized last Feb.

Originally when she met with the sister missionaries, it was a threesome--three sisters together. She eventually ended up meeting our mission president, I think, and said if that situation would arrise again, she was willing to help out.

And so that's what she's doing! She's serving for just a short time: this transfer. Just six weeks. She says hello to everyone she sees, she has worked to study the missionary lessons, she is so excited, so ready to go. I am so excited to serve with her--her faith is enormous, and her desire to share the gospel is amazing. Such a reward to be able to work with her.

So this morning Sister Lee met her new companion at the subway station, then I travelled with the mission president to the mission office with other "trainers"--companions of new missionaries. It felt like coming full circle. When I came here, just like that, there were a couple little meetings, and the new and training missionaries got together and bore testimonies and the president assigned who would go with who. Being there today on the other side was an interesting sensation. I'm grateful for as far as I've come. I didn't realize a mission is just one big learning curve! I'm grateful for what I've experienced and learned, and it's fun to be able to look back and look forward.

I send my love!

--Carrie

Ha, there's one more thing I wanted to share this week.

Sister Lee and I visited with a less active member this week. We happened to visit when the bishop was already there--neat to see him in action (encouraging to act, do things, to forgive and to repent), but also kind of awkward.

Anyway, the bishop finished his visit and left, and the member (Sister Kim) and her daughter talked to us for awhile. I guess Sister Kim knows medical things well...I don't know what all she does...but Sister Lee asked her about her skin and how to take care of it, which lead to a long discussion I didn't quite understand. And anyway, Sister Kim offered to do accupressure on Sister Lee's ears--sticking tiny bead-like balls on parts of her ear with skin-colored tape that you then squeeze.

And then she asked me if I would like her to do it to me. I said yes... because, well, I've never had anyone do accupressure on my ears before. She asked me if anywhere hurt, and Sister Lee piped up "her ankles!" which was true--they've been sore lately.

So Sister Kim pulled out a big book and opened it to a diagram of an ear with dots on it, found the one for "ankle," and stuck it on that place at the top of my ear. She squeezed it so it hurt, and said if I kept doing that, my ankle would be better.

And the incredible thing is...it worked. My ankle stopped hurting.

When I tell this to Americans, they say things like "really?!?" When I tell this to Koreans they say, "of course."

Anyway, have a great week!

No comments: