YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Letter from 9 September 2009

Hello! Today might be in two parts...long story.

I don't have any emails to respond to this week--maybe it's just technical difficulties;) I can (I think--not sure how much time we have) spend some more time writing a longer group email, then.

It was an interesting week. On Monday night, we went to dinner with some members in one of the wards we serve in. Elder Choi and Sister Goo. Elder Choi was called last Conference to the first quorum of the Seventy (for those of you who knows what that is). We invited Byun Shin jeong, who just got baptized, and another member and her son--Darima. She was baptized a few years ago now, she's from Mongolia. We meet her and help her and her son with English and teach a gospel lesson.

The appointment was good--after dinner, we sat on the floor and talked about the priesthood. We carefully planned a lesson, starting whith asking Elder Choi to define the priesthood. I asked him to do so, and he took the question and ran with it, asking his wife, Sister Goo, to explain about it as well. I added my testimony to what they said--I talked about the priesthood, after it was lost after New Testament times and the death of the apostles being restored again in modern times when a new prophet--when Joseph Smith was called. And I added my testimony to what they said.

I am growing in appreciation for the priesthood, and for the blessings that come from it. And I told those new members during the lesson (in my broken Korean) that whenever they need help, to ask for it. That Christ loves us, and one way he shows that love is through worthy priesthood holders.

Also this week on Tuesday, we set a baptisimal date with O Ha na. Yay! She attended church on Sunday--couldn't take the bus because of her hurt foot. I called some members and, bless them, one picked her up Sunday morning and drove her to church, where we met her. She is scheduled to get baptized on the twentieth.

On Tuesday, we had originally scheduled an appointment with O Ha ha for that evening, but that afternoon she called us and said she was starting university again, so couldn't meet in the evening, but could we come that afternoon? We went, and in the meantime she decided her foot was still too bad for her to go back to school. (So in the future her schedule will be the same--available in evenings. Just a one-day fluke) During the appointment, the bishop called us, and told us how one of the young single adult women in the ward, her father had just passed away, and the funeral was that day. He asked us to go that evening. Because of the schedule changes, we went.

Sister Lee was wearing a white shirt and light checked skirt, and said maybe she would have to change to go to a funeral. And she was right--everyone was in all black--except the mourning family. Sister Im and her sister and mother were dressed in bright white simple traditional Korean dresses. The contrast was striking. A picture of her father was set out, surrounded by white flowers, insence, fruit. Guests would face the picture, and bow deeply--kneeling, and touching their heads to their hands to the floor. Then they turned to the family, and each bowed like that to each other.

We talked to Sister Im briefly. Sister Lee and I were both nervous to go--not sure what we could say or do. We said a few words, and she had to excuse herself to bow with her family. Other church members also attended--I hope she will find strength in the gospel right now.

Transfer calls are next Tuesday--I find out if I change companions, if I change areas. I don't think I'll move areas. Any changes that happen will take place next Thursday. So I'll let you know then.

Have a wonderful week!

--Carrie

No comments: