YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, December 25, 2009

Letter from 24 December 2009

I'm sorry I didn't write a group email last week! That evening, walking down the street, I all of a sudden realized I completely forgot!

Merry Christmas to you all! What a wonderful time of the year. This Christmas has been such a special Christmas--I'm grateful to be here. I feel closer to Christ this Christmas than I ever have. I'm grateful that he is our Savior--that He can understand all things; that He knows us, our trials and worries. That through the atonement, He can lift our burdens, and that in repenting we can be clean from sin. I'm grateful for the scriptures that testify of Him. I'm grateful for good men and women who follow him--and so act in love and charity. I'm grateful that his gospel has been restored in its fullness, with the same orginaztion that he established during his ministry.

Our mission president and his wife, President and Sister Burton, in about September invited us, as a mission, to do an activity together. They gave us each a fresh copy of the Book of Mormon, and asked us to highlight four things in different colors: references to Christ, His words, His attributes, and doctrines. We were to read five pages a day to finish by Christmas Conference.

Christmas Conference was Wednesday, and I finished reading on Tuesday. Just a few pages of the activity shows how the Book of Mormon truely does testify of Christ. And reading it like that every day, I started to see how the Book of Mormon really is a record of people who believed in Him. Who taught others of Him. Who followed Him. It gave me such a new appreciation for this Book that I carry around every day. That I show to people on the street. That I teach out of. It truely is a testament of Jesus Christ.

People have been so kind to us during the Christmas season. Last Sunday we got presented with gifts from the wards we serve in--socks, candy, fruit, and really nice shampoo that smells like Korean medicine. And the Christmas Conference for the missionaries yesterday included a turkey dinner and a visit from Santa. A member from the ward lent me a han bok--a traditional Korean dress--to wear. All the sisters dressed up and looked lovely.

We went caroling with some members last week; I made snowflake decorations for the English class Christmas party (everyone was kind of in awe with them--I guess snowflake cutting has not yet been incorperated into the Korean kindergarten curriculum), and Sister Ee headed a mass cookie baking/card making effort that has yeilded a gift for every member in Shilim ward for their Christmas party tonight.

The best part of Christmas so far, though, was last Sunday when a recent convert came to church with her 19-year-old daughter. We attended the meetings together; after taught her the first of the missionary lessons. We asked her, when, through prayer and reading the Book of Mormon, she came to know what we were teaching was true, if she would be baptized. She said yes.

Out of all the things we do, those are the best kind of moments.

A very Merry Christmas! I love you all!

--Carrie

No comments: