YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, May 9, 2008

How To Stay Awake in Class

A few months ago I nearly had a crisis of faith when I realized the utility of coffee. I'm Mormon, so I don't drink it or tea. But during one particularly hectic week when I hadn't been getting to bed on time and was falling asleep during yet another thing I was supposed to stay awake for, my revelation came: "Oh," it went. "So this is why people drink coffee." A montage of the classes and meetings I struggled to stay awake for flashed through my mind--including the lesson in fourth grade about the Silk Road that I nodded off in, and the meeting in Neuchâtel on the implementation of the European Language Portfolio in Romance-language Switzerland that I had been specially invited to.

Well, since then, I think I am learning to handle it. During the last semester and this new term, I have tried out several methods for staying awake during class. I present my findings. The ratings for these methods are as follows:

Not effective: *
Somewhat effective: **
Effective: ***
Very effective: ****

1. Getting enough sleep the night before ***
It helps, but for me, it doesn't eliminate those heavy-eyelid spells that happen in class or when studying. It definitely makes it easier to get out of bed when my alarm goes off though.

2. Chewing gum *
10 minutes in to every Spanish Civilization class, I would put in a piece--it didn't do any good.

3. Standing up in the back of the classroom**
I've only used this when I was observing high school Spanish classes in the Fall (which gets old fast). I almost fell asleep on my feet.

4. Drink of water*
I usually have a water bottle with me...it doesn't really help, though.

5. Snack**
It helps, but the effects aren't long-lasting. And I find it very disrespectful to eat in class--it's best avoided, I think.

6. Leaving the room for a quick walkabout**
The effects don't last, plus it's disruptive to get up and walk out.

7. Head-on-book nap before class ****
I was complaining to some people about my problem and all the things I had been trying, and a kid told me the only way his brother could stay awake in one of his classes was if he went twenty minutes early and took a nap. This revolutionized how I thought about staying awake--now instead of fighting it, if I'm drowsy I put my head down for five or ten minutes. Lots more effective than a lot of the other stuff I've tried.

8. Flexing muscles****
Flex and hold abs, calves, whatever. It keeps you awake and you burn a few calories, too. It gets old fast, though.

9. Quick mid-class nap****
Sleeping in class is definitely even more disrespectful than eating in class. Not only is it downright insulting to the instructor, but why even bother going if you're just going to sleep
through it? But I've found in my Econ class this term, if I close my eyes for five minutes, I can pay attention to the rest of the lecture after that. I slouch down in my seat so I can lean my head on the back--eliminates nodding. Econ is in a big lecture hall, though. If it's a small class (eg, one where the professor corrects your work/tests him or herself and/or knows your name and/or can ask you questions directly), this is definitely not an option.

10. Talking to your neighbor***
You stay awake and make new friends.

11. Participating in class***
The whole reason I want to stay awake in classes so badly is because I want to learn. That's why I'm doing this whole school thing, after all. I really do enjoy it, and I am trying to squeeze as much learning and good experiences out of my time at college as I can. I prefer being invisible in classes, but I realized yesterday, while sitting in class, that raising my hand will not just help me learn--it will help keep me from missing out because I was tired.

8 comments:

Jess said...

I find it charming that you have taken the time to compile this list and assign ratings to each approach! Personally I find water and activity help me most. I've only fallen asleep in class a few times, and have felt so guilty about it afterwards that I avoid it all costs. But I like the nap before class idea! I should try that.

Coffee definitely doesn't work well. I don't drink it anymore because though I feel very awake, I don't feel focused or happy. I get a bit irritated and anxious, mostly. Calming teas are nice at the end of the day though, I have to admit.

Katie said...

Hah. My personal favorite is taking a quick nap. I never fell asleep in a class until this year...and my classes are so small. So it's not like the professor can't tell.

Also, I talked to my neighbor A LOT in my stats class...and while we're definitely tight now I think the teacher wasn't too fond of that (again, a small class). But I passed!

PS. For some reason I hate vegetables, but I like brussel sprouts. Try buying them from the Store Too next time you're in Holladay.

EY Thrift Store said...

Very useful. I've discovered my own battle with the world of consciousness since I've started this new job. Christian told me that every 15 minutes I need to do something else. I draw a little something on the corner of the page or write a quick non-sensical poem. Some how it does the trick for me.

Flattail Family said...

Over the years April has trained me pretty well to stay awake--unfortunately I don't have her around when I am in meetings or classes. The other training is to have kids--after several years of sleep deprivation you just learn to keep going in spite of haziness. Only don't stop moving or you're done for (example: I can fall asleep while singing in church). As a teacher I sympathize with sleepy students. My formal job description is to talk in other people's sleep, but I try to keep class lively for their sake.

Speaking of sleep--I'll go try some now! ~Kevin

Anonymous said...

When a class is required despite my lack of interest in it, I try to draw on my notes to prevent myself from sleeping. I add amusing commentary to make the subject more interesting--maybe I even learn something. This method has done wonders for my artistic skill, and I usually get decent marks.

It's rude, but not nearly as rude as snoring right in front of the instructor's nose.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ahmed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a гeally niсе post.
Tаking thе time and actual еffort to cгeatе а very good article… but ωhаt cаn I say… I proсraѕtinate a lot аnԁ nevеr
managе to gеt аnything done.

Аlso visit my ωebsite :: http://sredstvo.net/user/Smemelab/