YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Vegetable of Masochists


I finished my finals on Wednesday and am home for a few days before I head back to school for Spring term. I was rummaging around for something for lunch, and came across some soup...and a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts.

My mom never served Brussels sprouts as I was growing up. I noticed how often they were bemoaned by our culture, but, not having first hand experience with them, I thought surely they couldn't be as bad as that. I've always loved vegetables, and I always thought Brussels sprouts were such beautiful ones.

So I steamed some of them with some salt and pepper and lime juice, and then tried them.

They were awful. Suddenly, I realized why people speak so poorly of the Brussels sprout. I realized where it had found its bad reputation. This beautiful vegetable--a vegetable--had deceived me.

My mom told me I couldn't give up on them until I tried them fresh. Maybe there's still hope.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I love them. Isn't that sick? I've never had frozen ones, but steaming fresh ones and eating them with salt, pepper, and a little butter? Delicious.

Also, fun fact: I won a "Fear Factor"-like challenge at mutual once by eating the most brussel sprouts in some given time. It is an honor that I've carried with me the rest of my life.

Jess said...

I am not a Brussels sprouts fan myself. Whenever I see them at the grocery store I always think about picking some up though. The logic that drives this is goes a bit like, "Well, they share their name with a European city so they must be delicious, and I must be the one doing something wrong!"