YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So Long, Castro

I read today that Fidel Castro is stepping down from power. Permanently. It turns out he isn't immortal. He's old and sick, and in a few days the national assembly will meet and select a new head of state, according to the New York Times. 

I read this, and I felt a little nostalgic. Castro was such an anomaly--or at least always seemed like it to me. History was bridged in one man--with him, JFK and Che Guevara were still part of the present. 

But so were Marx and Engle. And he proved dictatorships are not part of history--they are alive and well. When I see guys in red Che Guevara tee shirts, I wonder if they know this. I wonder if they know what all that face symbolizes, its link to Castro and to corruption.

But if they know the story, I think they wear it for that dream that it represents. Marx, Engle, Guevara, Castro, they all hoped for something better--for freedom. Freedom from poverty, from corruption--ironically, freedom, I think, from things they turned around and created again. I have often thought that better than a line showing right and left, a more correct way to model political philosophies would be a circle. The extremes come back around and meet each other. A dictator is a dictator whether fascist or communist. 

But these ideals are seductive. I think this seduction is fascinating, and I've started taking pictures of leftist merchandise and such that I see. Here are some of the collection. 



Cherborug, France 

Brussels, Belgium. (Rough) Translation: "To vote is to accept capitalism and to reinforce the bourgeoisie. It is collaborating with our own exploitation. Let us vote a blank ballot! We will fight! " 


Old Town, San Diego, California 

Brussels, Belgium 

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I totally agree with your circle analogy. I've often thought of political ideologies along similar lines, only with limits (like the calculus kind - yes I am such a dork), where taking the limit of both the left and the right gets you to the same result (dictatorship).

Also, we really need to talk on the phone, stat. I'll get on that.