YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Smells Like Spring

Walking home from classes today, it was too warm for my coat. 

I didn't take it off, though. I was reading as I walked--I have been a busy bee lately, and can't quite keep up with reading assignments. I had my camera with me, too, and was taking pictures from time to time with the non-book hand. Documenting for the sake of it. I didn't want to take off my coat and carry one more thing in my arms. 

It made me think of walking home from elementary school at this time of year. You need a coat in the morning, but it warms up in the afternoon. You can feel spring coming even inside, locked up in a classroom or down in the basement of the library, studying. You can smell the movement. Last year around this time I was walking around reading a culture guide to Switzerland, getting ready to go do research there. 

I am presenting my Switzerland research in a couple of weeks at the Inquiry Conference for International Research, a student conference on campus. I went to a consultation meeting for it today, and felt somewhat ill as I talked about my project. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to be doing, but also the kind of thing that makes me loose my appetite. I spoke at a fundraising luncheon for Girl Scouts once, and was happy to lunch and to chat until they announced my name--then I set down a half-eaten Thin Mint and couldn't think again until it was over. 

Goodness. 

No comments: