YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Letter from 8 April 2009

Hello!!

We had a baptism this week! Shin Dong oon, her neice and nephew Hyun jeong and Su hyun, and the family friend, Song Bo mi all got baptized and confirmed last weekend.

Two of the baptisimal interviews were done earlier, and then the two girls, Hyun jeong and Bo mi, got interviewed just the night before (Korean students are super, super busy--always at school or hak won--a private academy--studying). The girls went in one at a time, and as we waited, we did a short lesson with the one not being interviewed.

And then we just talked. Hyun jeong told me about the founding story of Korea. A bear and a tiger wanted to become human, so they talked to the son of heaven (I think), who told them to go to a cave and eat only garlic and mugroot for one hundred days. They tiger gave up on the ninety-ninth day. But the bear became a woman, and married the son of heaven. And that's how Korea was begun.

Later in the week, we were leaving one of the huge apartment buildings after meeting with a woman for English practice then a gospel lesson. A church member, Pak Yeong mi, had come with us, and as we were leaving, she pointed to some of the plants that are beginning to sprout with spring. She bent down and picked a green leaf and handed it to me, explaining that you could eat it. It was mugroot--쑥.

The baptism was on Saturday. The four are the first ones I have seen from the first lesson to baptism. That night Sister Bang and I did a companion exchange so she could help them get ready and a member--Kim Jeong sook--and I met with a new investigator. When Kim Jeong sook and I finished, we went into the hall and I saw Su hyeon dressed in white...it was a really impressive feeling.

I had a lot of feelings that night--I didn't quite expect to. I was happy and excited for them. And relieved. And really worried. Worried about them understanding what we taught, what they were promising with baptism.

They were confirmed the following Sunday in church. Shin Dong oon lead the line of four up to the front of the chapel, and sat down first to be confirmed. She looked really resolute as she walked up. She is in her thirties, really small, and each time we meet with her I think she is more beautiful. I was just impressed with her. And her courage.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love,

Carrie

No comments: