YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, March 30, 2009

Letter from 25 March 2009

Hello!

It was a good week. Things are picking up again in our area. We have been meeting with an aunt (Shin Dong oon) and her neice (Hyun jong) and nephew (Soo hyun) who will be going to Fiji soon for the neice and nephew to study there (they can go to an English language school). While there, they will live with friends--members of the Church. The friends told them about the missionaries--they could learn about the Chruch and also do some English practice. So we have been meeting with them for maybe a couple of months, and they want to get baptized. We meet with them in their big, new apartment. We sit on the floor, and Shin Dong oon gives us oranges or milk. During English time, Hyun jong tells me about her boyfriend who lives in Incheon and taking pictures with her friends. A couple weeks ago she gave me a book about learning Korean.

Also, Sing Dong oon gave us the name of another student who will be going with them--Bom ee. The whole group of them--all four--came to church on Sunday, and meeting with Bom ee is really neat. She's in middle school, and her mom sews church choir robes from home. She asks good questions, and reads the Book of Mormon, and has prayed. And there is just such a neat feeling when we meet with her.

We always teach about the church in Korean, so I can't always understand investigators well, or talk to them a lot. But we do English practice with her, too, and in Korean and English, she is just bright and smiley. I enjoy our visits.

And Korean is getting better. I feel like I am starting to be able to connect with people some through Korean. And that is making missionary work a lot more exciting--when people have feelings and personailites and names and concerns and ideas and things they love. I'm really grateful for every bit I can understand--though it's still very little.

I "passed off" this week with one of the zone leaders--I had to learn a ton of vocabulary, learn all of the lessons in Korean (we only did the first two at the MTC), learn scripture references. I wasn't excited about passing it all off, but the zone leader used it as a teaching experience, and I went away encouraged about things. And after, Sister Bang and I stopped at a mart to get a treat to celebrate. I got a snack, from the picture it looked like it was chocolate with a nut in the middle, little balls. I opened the bag and as a fish smell came out, I asked her what it was.

"It's squid flavor," she said.

"How do you say 'squid' in Korean?" I asked.

She pointed to the huge writing on the bag.

Squid and peanut. It was actually pretty good.


No comments: