YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, January 8, 2009

You will make a good businessman. You know how to spend and how to save.

8 Jan 2009

Hello!

Wow, this week went fast.

First, a couple items of business. On Christmas, I promised to email my address for Google Earth purposes. I'm not quite sure how to translate it, though. Until I get something more exact, try searching for Kyongwondae University. You might have to try some spelling variations--Kyungonedae University, maybe. And maybe if you Googled that and found an address, you could search for it. We live very close to it.

Second, I will email strait to Brad, too, but I need Brad's email address.

Okey doke. This week. Still no snow, though I hear there's lots at home. It snowed once and melted within the day, but it's looking like winter in Seoul isn't too snowy. I'm relieved. I am terrified of walking on ice, and I was nervous about having to do that. And when there's snow, there's ice.

Our "teaching pool" had shrunk the last couple of weeks, but it's getting built back up. There's the mom we met on the street--we do the English program with her daughters. She always gives us treats and then feeds us dinner when we meet with them. This week it was a piece of cake and a sliced bananna for each of us.

I have learned to eat tangerines--I've always been squeemish about fruit texture, but I eat tangerines all the time now. We usually have lots around the apartment that people have given us, and when someone at an appointment handed me a peeled one and said, "eat!" there wasn't really a way out of it. I can do strawberries now, too.

But the bananna was just too much. I ate one and a half of the slices with some of the cake. When the mom later kind of looked at me and looked at my plate, all I was thinking was, "I ate one and a half slices of that bananna, the first time in my life that I have eaten a bananna on my own free will. This is a monumental moment. Can't you appreciate that?" Sister Romney ate a few more slices when the mom's back was turned (like a few weeks ago, when she couldn't handle the bowl of gensing root and passed some over to me).

Things are going well with the gospel lessons with this family. Our first meeting, when we pulled out the Book of Mormon, she kind of pulled away and said if you teach my daughters, that's fine, but I'm not interested. But she's been listening, and they've been praying on their own. And at the end of the lesson, Sister Romney asked one of the daughters. She wasn't too sure about that, and the mom started saying, "you know how, open with 'Dear Heavenly Father'..." and the other daughter started added, "end with 'in the name of Jesus Christ...'." It was really neat.

We met again with our Buddhist family this week. During English time with the daughter, she told us about some of the old rules for Korean wives. They would go live with their husband's family. But if they didn't have a son, they could kick her out. Or if she didn't take care of her husband's parents, or if she stole, or if she got sick. She would have to leave. And then we talked a little about how sometimes changes are good. We had persimmon tea and strawberries.

The mom has read almost a hundred pages into the Book of Mormon. She wants to know how she can help her family. We have also started meeting with a university student majoring in English. At our second appointment, after we explained how if we read the scriptures and pray daily we can learn little by little, get answers, understand the gospel bit by bit. And at the end of the lesson she prayed that she could also learn and understand this way.

Heading out. Today Sister Romney and I are going to attempt dak boki for lunch. (I don't think it's one you can mess up too easily). It's made with thick glutenous (sp?) rice noodly things--dak (kind of the equivilant of pasta here)--and a spicy sauce. Someone gave the other sisters a bag of dried anchovies this week--we'll use them to flavor the sauce.

Lots of love!!

--Carrie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It's the little changes that make the most important changes. Many thanks for sharing!

Also visit my site ... Garcinia Cambogia Extract