YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First say to yourself would be; and then do what you have to do.

Hello, hello! Here's the news from the week:

I bought an electronic English-Korean dictionary. It has Japanese and Chinese characters, too. We bought it on the way back from the grocery store, where I had bought a mop, which I had to ask Sister Romney to hold so I could use two hands (polite!) to had my debit card to the salesman ("...Sister Romney, would you mind holding my mop?"). The best part of it, which I discovered later that day, is that it has recorded pronunciation for not just Korean, not just English, but for thirteen languages. If I need to know how to say "socks" in Russian, I am set.

Other news. We did a companion exchange with the other sisters in our apartment on Monday. I went with Sister Hunt to Sugey and Boondong. We had three lessons. For the second one, we met the woman and a member at the subway station. The member was a woman in her seventies neatly dressed all in purple, up to her hat. The investigator found us--in her forties, perhaps; navy blue lace tights, a short gray bubble dress, a billowing black sweater and bright blue nails. Her English name is Regina, and as she drove the four of us to her apartment (which was huge and well decorated), I thought about what an interesting mix of people we were. The gospel really can bridge differences.

That evening, we met with a woman and her young daughter. Her husband was on business in New Jersey. We asked her about going to church, but she wasn't sure about it--she didn't want to rock the boat with her husband and her husband's family. Things like that are hard to hear. We were teaching with a member, who suggested that since things are more and more modern, women can be more independant about deciding things like that.

In our district meeting this week, I asked for opinions about how to involve the whole family. It's hard when we just teach a woman during the day, when the husband isn't ever home. And it can be hard for her to go to church on the weekend when he actually is home--it seems like Sunday is precious family time for a lot of people. The Church can be something that makes families stronger. The gospel makes people better from the inside out, as I heard someone say it once, and so the effects of that include being a better family member. I've been thinking about how to help people with the Church that way--something that unites and strengthens rather than divides. In the meeting, we talked a little about involving the whole family from the beginning. A challenge!

There are six of us in the district, six of us at this meeting. One of the missionaries is Korean. Part way through he asked me where my ancestors were from. Aparently thoughts were rolling around in his mind during the whole thing, because after, he asked everyone the same thing. We were all of European descent. "So why do you all look so different?" He asked. I guess it was a valid question. There is less variation among Koreans. I thought about Punnit (sp??) squares the rest of the day.

--Carrie

No comments: