YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, January 20, 2014

"You will."

Since I started teaching, I've thought about how I should write down some of the funny things that happen at work. If I'm going to start, I might as well share them.


The other day, a student told me how he has me for English next year. I looked at him, a little puzzled, and said, "I don't teach English."

"You will," he said. "You will."

***

I first heard about the artist Lorde on NPR--and, because of this, assumed her and her song "Royals" were pretty obscure. I loved the song, and I couldn't resist playing it during class the next day (even though it's not in French), prefacing it with something like, "I just found out about this new artist..." My students laughed at me right away and explained that the song had been in heavy rotation on the radio for quite awhile. I try to get my students to sing in French, and in this same class, there is a table with a couple of guys who really do sing. They sing loud and exaggerated and enjoy the humor of it (and of other situations). It's this same group of boys who, since the "Royals" day, will regularly sing the chorus of the song to me in falsetto.

No comments: