YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Letter from 15 October 2009

Hello hello! The leaves are changing, the weather is nice--a lovely time to be a missionary.

This week we were teaching a lesson to Hong Kyung sook. We were talking about the Ten Commandments, and I was explaining what we did on the sabbath day. Midway through what I was saying, my companion, Sister Buford, burst out laughing. When she started laughing, so did Hong Kyung sook, but the member teaching with us, O Mi jeong, was good enough to retain her composure as she calmly explained that the word I was looking for was "shee da."

It turns out the word I thought meant "to rest"--"shee ha da"--actually means, roughly, to piss. Sister Buford (who didn't originally learn Korean as a missionary), explained this to me later. As she did so, all the situations I've used this word in started flashing through my mind. Teaching investigators that we rest on the sabbath day. Talking to people on the bus about why we attend church. When we've visited members in their home and telling them they need a rest.

Goodness. At least someone finally told me.

Other news this week: we have a baptism tomorrow! Hooray! Pak Na ra is a high school student, her friend is a member and they started attending church together. We're excited!

Time's about up--I send my love.

All my best,

Carrie

No comments: