YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, June 26, 2008

He said what?

An amendment to the last post: it is officially getting to me.

Anyway. Last night I thought I'd check the website of a guy I used to date. I thought he was a pretty cool guy, and I still wonder what he's up to even though we haven't been on speaking terms since we broke up about a year and a half ago now. He uses his website to post creative projects--songs he's written, videos he's made, essays, that kind of thing. Last night I saw he had a new "album" of songs posted, and as I was giving it a listen, I discovered there was a song about me on there.

I'm not including a link for a few reasons. One of those is that he uses a few words that...well, they aren't a part of my vocabulary. He really isn't trying to remember things fondly. Nonetheless, when I first heard the song, I was kind of pleased in a weird way--I mean, has anyone ever written a song about you? Also, it...illuminated some of the things I've been wondering about.

Still, though, I seriously wanted to respond (and the chance to defend myself!). I thought about the whole thing as I walked to the store and bought some groceries. On my way back, I started writing my own little song.

Now, you have to understand, I'm not angry or spiteful. During everything with this kid I never wanted to say or do anything I would regret later on. And I held to that philosophy as I laid on my bed writing out lyrics. The product was kind of a mix of Jewel and Bright Eyes and as I sing through it I hear some nice guitar work in my mind. I also started working out a plan to get him to hear it as I ruminated over things--"If I got lots of people to link to his site from where it was posted..."

I don't actually play the guitar, though--at all. I thought about the people I knew who did and couldn't think of any one person who had both the ability to compose and play those intense solos I was imagining and the time/availability/willingness to work on the song--and who I would be comfortable doing it with ("No, see, I know you're having a hard time making all those words fit, but that's how I feel...").

So then I thought, "I know, I'll ask Conor Oberst to do it." He's a stranger (reduces awkwardness) and my song totally sounds like something he would do. And maybe that would solve the delivery problem, too. He has lots of songs about New York. He probably lives there. The guy-I-formerly-dated now lives in New Jersey--"Hey, Conor, that was awesome. Now would you mind just skipping over to Morristown and knocking on his door? Thanks, that would be great."

4 comments:

Katie said...

This is awesome! Will you forward me the link. I totally want to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, wow, Carrie. I totally visited that site a couple weeks ago but I was too offended by what I saw (and too scared of that sickly purple glow that came off the album) to listen to any songs or do anything but hightail it out of there.

So perhaps next time I see you we can discuss without listening to the song. I'd also like to hear your musical response.

Holladay Duplex said...

So what does YOUR song say?

Anonymous said...

OOOOHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOODNESS

COME ON KID
COME.
ON.

I am very disturbed to hear that he's done that. And...I know the feeling. And it's not good.

AAAAAAAAGGGGGG.

Well, I told him I was never visiting his site again and I haven't. I figure nothing good could ever come from it, and so far it seems that that's true. Of course hearing about this makes me ragefully curious about what kind of things he might be saying about others.

He is NOT the kind of victim he thinks he is. Victim to himself, that's it.

Too bad you can't vote sites off the internet.

Well - I'm sorry this has happened to you.

-nat