YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Revival!

Last night, my friend Natalie and I went to a free concert on Temple Square: a conjunto of local musicians who get together to jam with LDS hymns and gospel music and who call themselves "The Lower Lights." My mom sent me a CD of theirs while I was a missionary in Korea. I put it in the CD player and fell in love. It was the kind of music I had loved listening to before I had left...but hymns! I was sad when one of my companions decided it was best for me to put it away. I took it out after we got transfered, though, and future companions loved the music, too.

Anyway, I saw them live last night. It was in the Assembly Hall at Temple Square. It was the first concert I'd been to in awhile where people sit down. And I kind of struggled with that. Natalie and I ended up sitting in a window sill with our legs dangling (because it was a full house), and I danced in my seat while we listened. A little boy stared and pointed at us for the whole time. But I couldn't help myself.

The group just came out with their third CD--"A Hymn Revival, vol. 2." They have some tracks on their website they invite you to embed, but my favorite for the night wasn't on there: "A House of Gold." This video doesn't do it justice. I loved the big, pounding drums, which remind me of Elvis Perkin's music. I guess I'm a sucker for those drums, acoustic instruments, and a bit of twang.




No comments: